A message from T Loughman, Main contractor for the Arnold Circus restoration project
“T Loughman & Co Ltd are proud to be the appointed contractors on this site of particular interest owing to its unique history, current listed status and special place in the hearts of the residents.
Over the coming weeks, Arnold Circus will undergo a sensitive restoration. Briefly, works to be carried out consist of:
- Repair and restoration of the bandstand
- Repair, restoration and repainting of the external railings. The brick and stone plinths will be repaired and replaced to match existing where necessary
- Refurbishment of the internal railing panels
- Repair of the surfacing and the addition of a new wearing course of gravel chippings secured within a bitumen surface, in a buff colour to reference the original buff colour gravel surface.
- New oak bench seats will be built into the refurbished upper terrace railings, cantilevered off the new posts.
- The planting beds will be replanted with new shrubs and herbaceous plants. Compost will be added to the top 450mm of topsoil to replenish the nutrients in the soil and a cellular stabilisation system will be installed within the planting beds to prevent soil erosion.
As a company we have a history of heritage projects stretching back over forty years. Currently we are approved contractors for many London Boroughs and are engaged in three Royal Parks amongst other works. We have commenced site set up and shortly will start on the access works and upper terrace. There will also be inspection and final preparation for the railings and stone works, restoration of the bandstand and colourful planting. We will be updating this blog weekly with the assistance of the LDA Design, Landscape Architects for the project and will be liaising closely with FOAC.”