Summer Events 2010
Arnold Circus bandstand celebrated its 100th birthday in 2010, and the whole bandstand area and gardens were then fully restored.
We marked this twin occasion with events that include music, carrom, marching bands, flying pigeons, a Vegetable Orchestra and strange machines.
We partnered with three great organisations – Folklahoma for the 5 music events, Spitalfields Music for Music Road, and Home Live Art for the Sharing Picnic 100.
- May 23 – Arnold Day – in honour of Arthur Arnold, social campaigner – with the Pavilion Brass Band. 3-5
- June 13 – Music Road – in partnership with Spitalfields Music, and opening the Spitalfields Festival. Starting at 10.30am with specially commissioned new pieces in St Leonard’s, moving down Calvert Avenue following the Bavarian Strollers to the bandstand and a ceilidh band. Come and listen, dance, find out how to make music from kitchen implements and vegetables. Events continue with Spitalfields Music further festival at the Geffrye Museum.
- July 4 – An afternoon that brings old and new East London traditions together – the annual Carrom Contest at midday. At 3pm the spectacular release of 100 racing pigeons from the Kingsland and District Homing Society. And followed by Turkish drummer, Numan Elyer, 3.30pm
- July 18 – The annual Arnold Circus Sharing Picnic – bring your food and a dish to share: music, artists and community stalls, an open-air kitchen, the challenge to cycle, at the end of the day, 100 times round the bandstand, led by a large and extraordinary custom-made person-powered vehicle. 1 – 5pm
- September 12 – Bengali Music group 3 – 5pm
- September 19 – Klezmer Klub music 3 – 5pm